23.4.11

The Grand Compleation

It's been spoiled. Early.

I recently watched the new Magic Show episode in which Evan Erwin spoke about how New Phyrexia (NPH) had been prematurely spoiled to the point where the usual spoiler season has been ruined for the set. I had taken a gander over at the spoiler collection site and had indeed seen that all 175 cards in the summer set had been leaked.

Now, I had heard that the entire set had been spoiled earlier in the week, and was very excited over being able to see the new cards (Especially the new Praetors. They are crazy good.). I was overjoyed that Wizards would even do something this cool like spoil the set this early. Then I found out (from watching that episode of the Magic Show) that it was actually a third party leak, and that there was supposed to be a complete spoiler season, with those informative articles and things that always pop up prior to a release. Those things aren't going to be much use now that the set is spoiled.

And another thing that I didn't realize until watching that Magic Show episode: with an almost an entire MONTH passing between now and NPH's release on May 14, Spikes and Johnnies from across the globe will have already broken all the breakable cards in time to build the new Tier I standard decks on Day 1. Wizard's carefully planned spoiler season where they break down the new card mechanics over the next few weeks is ignored, because what's the point? The set's out, basically. All the people need are the physical cards in their hand to replace their proxied NPH cards. It's madness.

Shame on the person who did this. Shame.

Now, I'll be looking through the set and posting some opinions on cards (with mockup, courtesy of my copy of Magic Set Editor) at another time.

No comments: